Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Labor...

What is the role of a typical Indian husband when his wife is in labor? Well, from what I gather from the movies, he walks up and down along the corridors of the maternity ward until the nurse/doctor arrives to crack the news about the new born, enquires about his wife and if he could go in to see the mom and the kiddo, rushes in, looks at the weary wife and the newborn, sits by the battered wife's side, gently caresses her messy hair, perhaps plants a kiss on her forehead, and begins to answer questions from his wife on whom the kid resembles (not knowing the fact that it is beginning of a serious argument in the future and that’s another story). Well, that was in the movies. In my opinion, in real life, most husbands assume, more or less, similar roles.

I think its time for Indian men to gather courage and stay put in the maternity ward and sees what troubles his wife goes through to pop the baby. To see your wife struggle with the pain is some heart breaking moment, but it might be an experience, which would last the life time.

The contractions, cervix examination by the mid wives/docs, rupture of water bag, monitoring of the baby's heartbeat through the mother's vagina, epidural procedures, and the wailing baby. After witnessing all this, I think no male would say women are weaker sex. To be honest, watching all these things only left me weak and emotional and on the contrary my wife, taking into account the hardship of the labor, was quite energetic. I was struggling for words, amidst a few drops of tears, when my wife asked me how the baby is, and she assumed there was something wrong with the baby and that is why I was speechless.

Well, now I have a பிரசவ வைராக்கியம் too. ;)

PS: Folks, don’t start congratulating me for having a new born in my household. It was just a recollection of my experiences being in the maternity ward along with my wife throughout the labor. I wrote this post after reading posts like those your find here, here and here.

PPS: And to those inquisitive few, who might question if I stood by my wife's side on my own choice, my answer is "hehehehe"

10 Comments:

Blogger tbr.joseph said...

Hi Di!

if I stood by my wife's side on my own choice..//

Whether you stood there on your own choice or not it was a courageous decision no doubt!

Here in India, I don't know whether any husband would be allowed to witness that. Why husbands even elderly ladies would not be allowed, is it not?

April 20, 2006 3:42 PM  
Blogger D The Dreamer said...

TBR Joe Sir:

Thanks for the compliment.

And yes you are right. In India, one might get into serious trouble if he says he wants to be with his wife during her labor, especially in rural and sub urban areas.

April 20, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger priya said...

That was neat and well written.

April 25, 2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger D The Dreamer said...

Thanks Priya. Do come back for more.

Cheers
D The D

April 25, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger priya said...

That was neat and well written.
Experience ":-)" makes a man's life hmmm "u never know"- keep guessing.

April 25, 2006 11:19 AM  
Blogger D The Dreamer said...

hehehe...got it Priya :)

April 25, 2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger delphine said...

Hello DD.
well, I think I have seen this post pretty late. Scenario in India is changing. More women want their husbands to be by their side. But I bet, I have seen more men hiding behind their mother's rather than taking a bold step to hold their wife's hands in her pain. That's it. Congrats, That is a pretty cool writing yaar.

June 27, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger D The Dreamer said...

Delphine:
Thanks for dropping by. To be honest, I didnt have a choice as we were away. So I doubt if I was courageous enough.
Cheers
D the D

June 28, 2006 8:39 AM  
Blogger delphine said...

By the way when did this happen? and where?

June 28, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger D The Dreamer said...

Delphine:
This happenned in Singapore and october last year :) and also in June 2003 ;)
Cheers
D the D

June 28, 2006 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home